Wednesday, September 21, 2011

SETHS


In this photo you see Sammy bhai, Veena Didi and Neeta Didi - Mrs & Mr Spencer's children. Sammy bhai lives in CMS Mission Compound, Khuni Pul (there is a story why this place is called Khuni Pul), Meerut. Veena Didi is in USA and Vinita (Neeta) didi lives at a city near Lucknow. The person missing in this photo is Jyoti ...



In the above photograph is Mrs & Mr Spencer.


VINTAGE 1958 SCM MEERUT
ON GROUND LEFT TO RIGHT MISS JEAN JACOB, MISS L. ANDREWS, MISS C. MALL
ON CHAIRS - LEFT TO RIGHT - MISS U.R. JETHRO, MR RONALD R. SINGH, REV B. SINGH, MISS V.M. SINGH, MR D. PERMANEND, MISS J JACOB, MR MARSHALL MASSEY
STANDING - LEFT TO RIGHT - MR P.K. SETH, J.K. MICHAEL, SC NATHANIEL, A. K. MICHAEL, VINCENT PETERS, KUSHAAL SINGH UTHWAAL, C.M. SINGH
— with Vincent earnest Peters at MEERUT

Priyo wrote: "SCM in Meerut started in the early 50's . My brothers, Mahinder & Rajinder Seth, Raj Kumar Michael& brothers were the organizers of the movement. The first staff adviser was Donald Rugh and then Miss Mangal Singh. Many of these names are recognizable in the group photos. Harry Daniel was the general secretary , came to Meerut on at least two occasions. I am glad that there are some survivors of that great time in history and am grateful to others who have the desire to remember the history. Thank you."

Priyo Seth's contribution :

"Just saw your note.
Let me bring you up to date re family- if you see one of the SCM photos, you will see Mr. C.A. Spencer. He was my mother's first cousin. His daughter is Dimple Samuel , married to Johnson Samuel. Debby is their daughter. Dimple'sbrother is Sammy Spence, has a house in CMS Compound. Sammy's mother,Sheela, wasmy mami (married to Mr. C.A. Spencer- my sylloo mamu. They lived in begumbagh - the very last house in the gali- four or five houses down after Mr.V.S.Michael's house. The Silloo mamu built the house the CMS compound -like manyother christians.I have known most of the families in that area, notably- Samual Peter, SherSingh , Priti Bua, Noel Bhayya, Pearl Davis &, Asharfi Lals, Mannu & SannuSingh, Paul Sharma, Brave sisters - Mona & Perin (Mona was in my class at StThomas) , Vncent Peter ( his son Allan is in touch with me - he is the one who,I believe posted these SCM photos). Of course there many others- the list islong- one of my good friends from that time and also the staff adviser of ourSCM9 1962-64) lives in your vicinity - Mr Dharamjit Singh ( I hope is well, methim last in 2003. His house is near the Peoplels' brothers house. Of coursethere is Mrs Meher Singh (Doris, my favorite teacherwhen I was at St Thomas -2nd-3rd class !How is this for a little bit of the past. Of course, close to your family-Ernest Sharpe, Edwin Sharpe ( there was a third brother alsowho lived nearTurkman Gate, Delhi - was it Charlie ?) and there was Tina Aunty & Mr RanjitSingh & there sons. Edwin Mamu was very close to our family. You see, inthose times, every one was a mamu or masi - though their was very little or nofamily connection. Our ancestors took these relationships very seriously - I remember I had masis & mamus all around. But no Chacha or Tau. My father was anonly boy in his entirefamily. We did have a chacha - again my Dadi's friend's son - not a realchacha (mr. C.S. Lawrence- a police officer who married Mr C.A. Spencer 'ssister Catherine (my Kattho masi) .I am attaching a photo of my childhood with my buddies ! And a couple more- part of history. See if you have any of Arthur Uncle & Edith Aunty- Thank you"

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tunna, You are right the reason we had lots of Mausa and Mausis because of GOTRA, this is hindi word and I don't know the English word for it, I can only think is the tribe, anyway in those days our ancestors considered same gotra person as brother and sisters and they took this relationship very seriously. The boy and girl with the same gotra could not get married. Our ancestors considered them brother and sister. Even Still in U.P. India in villages people follow the same traditions. I know my gotra is LOHAT. Jagdish Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOHAT- It's a famous subcaste of Jatt

    ReplyDelete